Sunday, July 22, 2012

Here's to you, Mister Wesley

The following is based off the poem "Fuzzy-Wuzzy" by Rudyard Kipling.
I've read books written by men who could think,
Who could turn theology into art:
That Edwards and that Bunyan and that Pink;
But John Wesley was the first to win my heart.
The world was his pulpit from which he preached
So it was from the day his heart was warmed,
It was from God's word that he did teach,
Despite all the blows taken from Satan's swarm.

So here's to you, Mister Wesley, in the bosom of Abraham;
Sure you were Arminian, but a first-class godly man;
Someday we'll give a praise to God, perhaps a hymn we'll sing
I'll have to wait until the morn we're dining with the King.

One day I referenced your written word.
A girl took note, and it made her smile.
She told me bluntly that she hadn't heard
Any Calvinist quote you in quite a while.
My love grew then on as deep as the sea
Just as that Elkanah adored his Hannah;
Until I, ring in hand, dropped to my knee
At the foot of your statue in Savannah.

So here's to you, Mister Wesley, and your brother Charles too,
There's no man whose saved by works, but you did more than most do.
For now you rest with saints; you don't know your impact on my life;
See, God still had a use for you, Mister Wes - you hooked me up a wife!